I love being a mother. But sometimes I lock myself in the bathroom just so I can have a minute to myself. Even in the bathroom, little fingers reach under the door to find me. When you feel like you just can’t give any more, it’s time to think about how well you are taking care of yourself. Self-care for moms is crucial for the happiness of your entire family.
Self-care is all the rage in recent years. At times, I have felt like it’s a bit superficial. But, when I really practice self-care in an intentional and regular way, I am happier. All mom’s need to recognize the best ways to take care of themselves. The following are some of my favorite things for self-care for moms.
Books for self-care for moms
I’m an introvert by nature. When my world gets out of balance, the fastest way to fix it is with a book. I love to read anything from romance (just the clean stuff) to memoirs. I don’t even mind taking my alone time to read parenting books. You can even sneak in some self-care by listening to an audiobook while doing laundry. Books have the power to enlighten and enlarge our minds. These are a few of my favorites.
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth. I loved this book. I read it over the course of a couple of months while walking on my treadmill while my kids were sleeping. In fact, I loved it so much that I’m planning on reading it again. It’s that good. If you want to help yourself or your kids succeed, this is a good place to understand successful people. Here is one of her Ted Talks.
- Duckworth, Angela (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- The Child Whisperer, The Ultimate Handbook for Raising Happy, Successful, and Cooperative Children by Carol Tuttle. Although I don’t buy into every part of her theory, this book has done wonders in helping me understand and honor my children. It also helped me realize why I keep butting heads with my son (hint: we are more alike than I thought).
- Audible Audiobook
- Carol Tuttle (Author) – Carol Tuttle (Narrator)
- Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson. When you need a lighthearted, delicious read, this is it. I read it years ago and still read it probably once a year. If you are fan of Jane Austen, you’ll love it.
- Julianne Donaldson (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living by Meik Wiking. I love the concept of making my home happier with hygge. This book has helped me think about the atmosphere I’m creating in my home.
- Like-new book in excellent condition
- Hardcover Book
Before becoming a mother, I was good about getting consistent exercise throughout the week. Since becoming a mother, I’ve had to really make an effort to fit it in. Which is silly because I am a much happier mom when I exercise. My favorite cardio exercises are walking and running (depending on my current goals). Not sure what kinds of exercise will help you feel happy? Try this quiz. Mine says I need to run! I make exercise better with the following:
- Water bottle. When I ran a marathon I wish I would have had something like this during my long training runs. Not going far? I have and use this water bottle for exercise when I’m closer to home.
- BICYCLING CAMELBAK WATER BOTTLE: CamelBak Podium squeeze water bottle features a new design and is easier to clean than ever. It continues to set the standard as the best bicycle water bottle in the industry.
- OPTIMIZED CAGE FIT: The Podium bike squeeze bottle is engineered to fit securely in a variety of bottle cages. It’s easy to squeeze, which ensures that you get more fluid intake with less effort.
- Exercise tracker. I am currently in the process of wearing out my second Fit Bit. This is the one I currently have and I love it. I find that I move more when I am keeping track of my steps. It’s so motivating for me to see how far I’ve come throughout the day. I’ve even been known to squeeze in a little more activity at the end of the day to meet my step count goals. If you have a smart watch, you probably already have a way to track your exercise. If you don’t, pick up a Fit bit like mine!
- Get inspired and stay accountable with Versa 4 + Premium – learn when to work out or recover, see real-time stats during exercise and find new ways to keep your routine fresh and fun.Operating temperature: -14° to 113°F. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 5.0.Maximum operating altitude : 28,000 feet (8,534 m).
- Built for better fitness results: Daily Readiness Score(1), built-in GPS and workout intensity map, Active Zone Minutes, all-day activity tracking and 24/7 heart rate, 40+ exercise modes and automatic exercise tracking, water resistant to 50 meters
Nothing makes me feel more alive than a shower. I know some mom’s can go a day or two without showering. It is an essential part of my day. I love the relaxed feeling of starting my day off on a good foot. Most days, I get just a minute or two of a shower before my kids start banging on the door. But, on rare occasions, I can squeeze in a hot bath. Try these to make your day start a little better.
- Bath bombs. When I do get the chance to soak in the bathtub, I love to do it with a bath bomb. For some reason, I love the smelly, fizzy mess they make. If I’m lucky, I might even get to use one or two of these before my kids use them all.
- MORE SHOWER BOMBS CHOICES – There are 10 types of bath bombs in the box, 10 pieces of bath bombs in one box, you have more choices while you want to enjoy the bubble bath salt ball, just choose the one you’d like to use at the moment.
- BEST INGREDIENTS – For best consumer using experiences, we’ve been always searching the way to make bath bombs better. To nourish the skin while keeping the best fizz effect. We promise all ingredients are natural organic and no undesirable additives, which will not hurt the skin.
- A shower stool. Maybe you are one of the lucky mom’s that have a bench in your shower already. My shower doesn’t. After trying a few different products, I’ve loved this shower stool. I can use it to prop my legs up when I actually have time to shave, or just sit for a minute if my kids are being good.
- PREMIUM NATURAL MATERIAL : Best gift choice. This corner stool is made of 100% natural bamboo.
- WATERPROOF & HEALTH PAINT : Our shower bench is coated with three layers of waterproof paint for long-term use. A natural and water-based varnish ensures eco-friendliness and a healthy experience.
“Me” time is Critical for Self-care for Moms
You need time alone mama. You really do. It has taken me over half a decade to realize this truth. I’m happier and more patient with my family when I have time alone. For some of us, this means getting out with some friends for a girls night. Others just need some time each day to sit and think. Sometimes you need both. Although I love my friends, I need to “sit and think” to recharge. I take time to reflect on my life, my Heavenly Father, and my family. These are some of my “me time” favorites:
- A journal. I’ve always been a little obsessive about journals. I have been keeping a personal journal since I was just a little girl. I also have journals for each of my kids, where I write down the fun or quirky things they do and say. I even keep a gratitude journal about my husband, where I write down the many awesome things he does for me. You know, so I can refer back when he’s snoring a little too loudly.
- ✅DAILY PLANNER : Enhance your self-care routine with Shine, Sparkle, Slay’s exquisite daily planner. This is a remarkable journal for women, to prioritize mental health and self-care. Experience the benefits of tracking daily habits in this guided, fostering mindfulness and enhancing mental wellbeing. Elevate your self-care game with our remarkable range of journals for women, including this captivating spiral journal notebook.
- ✅Undated Planner: Achieve ultimate productivity and conquer procrastination with our versatile undated weekly planner. Designed to boost your efficiency, this guided journal offers monthly sections for effortless productivity tracking. Benefit from intention setting, self-care suggestions, and routine trackers, all aimed at enhancing your overall well-being and happiness. Perfect for taking control of your life and achieving your goals.
- Cozy socks. I hate cold feet. These will make you feel like you are walking on clouds.
- WARM & SOFT MATERIAL – Fuzzy socks for women are made of 98% Polyester, 2% Spandex, lightweight, cozy, warm, ultra-soft and thick plush. Breathable for all-day foot wear.
- BRIGHT COLOR – Sweet,fresh and cute colors,it’s pure and snug so that we call it candy color or ice-cream color.Warm feet,warm hearts.Wish you have a good mood from sole everyday.
- Chocolate. Because you can’t eat it around the kids or you won’t get any.
- Contains one (1) 24.2-ounce candy bag for DOVE PROMISES Milk & Dark Chocolate Valentines Day Candy Hearts
- Gift that special someone the experience of enjoying the luxurious dual flavors of the finest milk chocolate and dark chocolate this Valentine’s Day
You are not selfish for taking care of yourself. When you prioritize taking care of the things for you, you’ll be better prepared to help your family. How do you do self-care? Do you have any favorite things that make your self-care routines better? Share your ideas!
Save this for later!