Autumn is a great time to get out and enjoy the outdoors with your kids. The leaves are changing color, the weather is cool but not too cold, and there’s plenty of fun things to do. One of our favorite activities is going on a fall scavenger hunt. We’ve put together this guide to help you have a blast with your family this fall!
An autumn scavenger hunt is a great way to encourage your family to spend time together and explore the outdoors. It’s also a fun way to teach your kids about the season and get them excited about upcoming holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving.
When to Use a Fall Scavenger Hunt
The great thing about a fall scavenger hunt is that it is an independent activity. Simply print it and let your kids go outside to check off the items on the list! You can also get more involved in this fun activity if you’d like. Places you might use a fall scavenger hunt include:
- On a family walk
- On a hike
- When you have a few extra minutes and need something to do
- When teaching your kids about seasons as part of a lesson plan
- At a fall carnival or party
Download our free scavenger hunt
This printable includes a list of items that you can look for during your hunt. Grab that here:
What you need:
- printable fall scavenger hunt
- marker, pencil, crayons or dry erase marker
- paper bags or baskets for collecting scavenger hunt items (as applicable)
- plastic page protectors or laminating sheets. We like these laminating pages because they don’t require a machine (optional)
- clipboard (optional)
How to go on a Fall Scavenger Hunt
The rules for a fall scavenger hunt are easy! Simply find the items on the list and mark each item off when you see it! When possible, gather the item or take a picture of it!
If you want to make the scavenger hunt more challenging, try setting a time limit or seeing who can find the most items. You could even turn it into a competition by splitting into teams.
Tips for a Fun Autumn Hunt
Here are some tips and tricks to help you make the most of your fall scavenger hunt:
- Print the Fall Scavenger Hunt on cardstock.
- Laminate the fall scavenger hunt so that you can use dry erase markers and reuse the hunt at another time!
- Use a clipboard to make checking off the items easier.
- Pack a few snacks and drinks to keep everyone fueled during the hunt.
- Make sure to dress for the weather! Wear comfortable shoes and clothes that you can move around in.
- Take your time and enjoy being outdoors together. The aim of the game is to have fun, so there is no need to rush!
- When you’ve finished the scavenger hunt, take a photo of your team or individual with all of their findings!
- Do it together with your kids! Sure, your kids could do this activity on their own. But, think how much more excited they’d be if you played too!
I hope this guide has given you everything you need to know about doing a fall scavenger hunt with your kids! Be sure to download our free printable so that you can get started right away. If you have any tips or tricks of your own, please share them in the comments below. Happy hunting!
Need more ideas for autumn fun? Read: Epic Fall Bucket List Ideas for Families